Latest Release: Cape Francolin 2013

Nothing makes a better pair than the cold winter months and Bordeaux blends. That's why our latest release, Cape Francolin cannot come at a better time.

This classic Bordeaux blend contains all five of the noble grape varieties: 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Malbec, 13% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot and 8% Cabernet Franc. The Cabernet Sauvignon gives this blend a deep garnet-red colour with dark berry and aromatic herbal notes on the nose. The palate reveals ripe and concentrated cassis ending with dark chocolate making it a perfect medium to full bodied wine with great depth and balance.

The 2013 harvest in South Africa was one of the biggest wine harvests the country has ever seen due to the ideal weather conditions during the wet winter as the flowers started to produce berries on the vines. Moderate weather during the harvest also contributed to the quality and size resulting in excellent wines, such as our Cape Francolin.

The wine was placed in French oak barrels after fermentation and was oaked for 18 months with 30% first fill and the other 70% split between second and third fill. This resulted in a smooth and slightly wooded finish with just enough tannins to complement typical winter dishes such as roasted and braised lamb or venison pie.

1 comment

  • Bel my Johan asb

    Dirk Kidson

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published